Dead Obvious Review Spam
I was poking around at some competitors listings like this one and I found some really bad review spam. So I decided to make a video and post about it because I think it’s so stupid to participate in review spam, but if you are going to do it (and I know some of you will) at least do it well.
Here are some tips for dirty rotten google review spammers: (are you catching the sarcasm…? )
- Create a real profile with a realistic looking profile image
- Have activity on your account before reviewing
- Write reviews that are not 5 out of 5 all the time
- Write reviews that make sense
- Write reviews for lots of different businesses in the same city – not 50 reviews on the same category in the same city as in the example in the video above (dumb asses!)
- Drip in reviews over time
- Have an active social profile and email associated with the account
- Get some circles and circle others
- Post some stuff
- Use country specific IP’s when you
- Use crowdsourcing of “real” people to set up accounts for you
- Don’t use a bot to do it
- Don’t post fake reviews under your own business profile
- Don’t use companies like this one, who looks like they are getting sued according to this
Just don’t be a dirty rotten review spammer AND don’t participate in it! Not only is it unethical, it can also even cost you a ton of money in lawsuits or just embarrassment from someone like me calling it out publicly. Your business reputation is worth more than just a few fake reviews on Google.
It’s much easier to just ask your customers and clients for reviews. Create a review funnel like this one and then be diligent about letting people know that you are on all the major review sites and that you appreciate all feedback from your customers. Try to make it as easy as possible to get them to those places with handouts or website review funnels.
Questions for the Local SEO Community
- Does anyone know a better way to report the ‘user’ of a review spammer in Google? If so, comment below.
- Does anyone know if Google will actually review the ‘flag if not appropriate’ submissions? If so, comment below.
- Do you want to offer any advice on how to be a better review spammer? If so comment below.
- Do you want to share some really obvious dumb ass review spam examples? Fun! If so, post a link to your examples in the comment section below!
The Big Take Away
Don’t be a dirty rotten spammer!