Lately I’ve received this question a lot:
Why does my Google ranking say: “such and such” when that is not our Title Tag.
No one knows 100% for sure why Google is changing website’s Title Tags, but they are doing it and doing it often. I put together a bunch of good resources that talk about this Title Tag issue:
- Rethinking the Title Tag for 2012 (and beyond)
- Beware! Google is Changing Title Tags at Will
- Watch Out for Long Title Tags – An SEOmoz Case Study
- Google: We Show Better Titles Than Your Title Tags
Quick Suggest to help your Title Tag from not getting re-written by Google:
- Keep them short (under 45 characters, used to suggest 65… now less)
- Make sure your H1 and navigation breadcrumbing supports your Title Tag
- Write them for humans 1st and search engines second
Tell us, are you seeing your Title Tags being re-written? What are your thoughts on this subject? Let us know in the comment section below.